The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (ゼルダの伝説 時のオカリナ, Zeruda no Densetsu: Toki no Okarina) was released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64. Like every main Zelda game, it was developed and published by Nintendo. It was then ported to the Nintendo GameCube, Virtual Console, and remade for the Nintendo 3DS.
A prequel to all the other games set before it (with only Skyward Sword", "Minish Cap" and "Four Swords predating it), Ocarina of Time, explains the origins of the Triforce, a sacred set of three triangles that grant its owner his or her wishes, and Ganondorf's transformation into Ganon.
Why It Rocks
- The game introduced "Z Targeting," which allows Navi to fly close to objects, objectives, and enemies, making it easier for Link to focus his attacks and use his tools easier. This game mechanic has been used in other 3D Zelda games and other games not in the series as well ever since.
- Immense landscape.
- Like other Zelda games, each dungeon has a new weapon or tool Link can obtain to defeat the dungeon boss and find hidden items and power-ups.
- Many likable characters.
- Great boss battles.
- The Ocarinas (first was Fairy Ocarina then the Ocarina of Time) Link uses allow him to use many magic songs to advance the story and obtain items.
- Several mini-games that can grant Link ammo upgrades, power-ups, and extra rupees.
- Tons of NPCs to interact with.
- The Gerudo Fortress adds stealth gameplay to the game until you rescue all the carpenters.
- A trading mission that can grant Link the Biggoron's Sword, the most powerful weapon in the game.
- This was the first 3D Zelda game.
- Amazing story.
- Great soundtrack.
- The 3DS remake has improved graphics, and an option to revisit several boss fights when Link returns to his old bed in Kokiri Forest.
- This is the first game that features Epona, Link's horse.
- The final battle is breathtaking and amazing.
- The end of Ocarina of Time creates three separate timelines due to Link's time travel. The Adult Timeline occurs when Link and the Sages seal away Ganondorf, the Child Timeline occurs when Link goes back to relive his childhood and alters events so Ganondorf doesn't get the Triforce. The Downfall Timeline occurs if Link was defeated in the final battle with Ganondorf, but Ganondorf was still sealed away. Check out this link (no pun intended) to check out the timeline.
- You can roll while in Hyrule field, which is slightly faster than running normally.
- The main overworld theme played in Hyrule Field and some other locations where time flows has different variations of it depending if Link is adventuring like normal, facing nearby enemies, and/or looking at the sun or after playing the Ocarina.
- The fairy Navi gives constant advice, even when the player knows the game well. Over time, she will shout out "Hey!" constantly until you activate her advice button. This caused Navi to be one of the most disliked characters in video games.
- For that matter, Kaebora Gaebora is really annoying with giving the player useless advice as well, but he doesn't come by nearly as frequently as Navi does.
- Navi's advice key is also the view button so if you want to go into First person mode, you'll have to listen to what she says.
- Hyrule Field is unnecessarily large.
- No after game content, after you beat the final boss, it will stay at the scene were young Link meets young Zelda until you turn off the console.
- The Water Temple is considered one of the most tedious dungeons in the series, due to Link moving very slowly on water, only being able to use the Hookshot, constantly having to equip and unequip the Iron Boots, and the Dungeon's complicated maze-like structure. Thankfully, it was made easier in the 3DS version.
- Whenever you load your file you start from either Link's House (past), the Temple of Time (future), or the start of a dungeon.
- The Z Targeting, despite being an innovative auto-targeting system, hasn't aged that well because it'll sometimes screw up and the lock on will leave the enemy.
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was the 1998 game of the year despite its November release and is considered one of the best games ever made.