The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask is the sequel to The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It was released in 2000 and like every Zelda game, it was developed and published by Nintendo. A remake was also released for the Nintendo 3DS.
After returning to his childhood, Link goes on a quest to find his friend, Navi. However his horse Epona and the Ocarina of Time are stolen by a Skull Kid in a strange mask. Following him, Link finds himself in a parallel universe called Termina and must now stop the Moon from crashing down in 3 days and solve the mystery of the power behind Majora's Mask.
Why It Rocks
- In addition to older enemies from Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask also feature new enemies to combat
- Some of the older musical songs from Ocarina of Time return along with some newer songs. Some older songs serve a different purpose in Majora's Mask than they did with Ocarina of Time, such as the Song of Time sending Link back in time rather than opening the Door of Time or removing Stones of Time
- Playing the Song of Time in reverse allows Link to slow time down and playing the notes twice in a row causes time to speed to the next night or day
- Owl statues allow Link to warp around anywhere in Termina
- Though Link loses ammo and rupees when he goes back in time, more important items remain with him
- There exists a bank in Clock Town that Link can use to deposit rupees. The bank is not affected by time travel and depositing 5,000 rupees will reward Link with a Piece of Heart
- Tons of numerous sidequests can be completed. They can often grant Link a mask or a Piece of Heart
- The 3DS remake has extra features such as being able to fish (wearing some masks can get Link some special fish)
- 24 unique masks to collect in the game, each one has a different ability:
- The Deku Mask allows Link to transform into a Deku Scrub and shoot bubbles and fly out of flower pads. It is obtained when Link uses the Song of Healing to free himself of the Deku curse
- The Goron Mask is obtained when Link is able to heal the soul of a mighty Goron warrior named Darmani. It enables Link to transform Link into a Goron and walk on lava, roll into a ball and speed up, and swing mighty punches
- The Zora Mask is obtained when Link heals the soul of a dying Zora guitarist named Mikau. It transforms Link into a Zora and swim waters at great speeds and generate an electric current
- The Fierce Diety Mask is obtained when Links hands the Lunar Children his twenty non transformation masks and completes each mini-game. After that, the child wearing Majora's Mask gives Link the Fierce Diety Mask for a fairer fight. The Fierce Diety Mask can only be used for boss fights and has great power. Locking onto enemies allows the Fierce Diety Link to fire magical energy at bosses
Non Transformation Masks
- Great Fairy Mask: Obtained from the Great Fairy in Clock Town the second time you restore her. It allows Link to find pieces of the Great Fairies by causing the hair to shimmer when in the same room as a piece and causing them to fly to him if freed from its bubble
- Stone Mask: Obtained by giving a wounded soldier in the Canyon a healing potion (you'll need the Lens of Truth), this mask makes Link unnoticeable to a lot of enemies, which is great for traveling
- Garo's Mask: Obtained by defeating the Gorman brothers in a horse race, this mask causes the spirits of the Garo to appear and face Link in battle. Defeating these spirits causes them to give Link information
- Don Gero's Mask: Obtained by giving a hungry Goron some Rock Sirloin, this mask allows Link to communicate with frogs. Link can use this mask to unite five frogs and obtain a Piece of Heart
- Gibdo Mask: This mask is obtained by healing the soul of a man cursed with Gibdo like features. This mask prevents Gibdos and Redeads from attacking Link and also allows Link to communicate with them.
- Kafei's Mask: This mask is given to you by Madame Aroma in order to help you find her son Kafei. It starts one of the longest side quests in the game
- Giant's Mask: Found within the Stone Tower Temple, the Giant's Mask is only used in the boss room with Twinmold and causes Link to grow into a massive giant to even the fight between him and the giant insects
- Circus Leader's Mask: Obtained by playing Ballad of the Wind Fish for Gorman, this enables Link to make Gorman's two brothers saddened and disheartened and prevent them from attacking Cremia's milk bottles. It is one of the more useless masks in the game since you complete this sidequest to get it, but is still useful for obtaining the Fierce Diety's Mask. In the 3DS remake, it is renamed Troupe Leader's Mask and is used in a sidequest to obtain an empty bottle
- Blast Mask: Obtained by the old lady that runs the bomb shop if you can recover her goods from the thief Sakon. The mask acts like a bomb and is useful if Link is fresh out. The downside is that using it will damage Link's health (though if he is using his shield, he will sustain no damage). The mask needs to be recharged in order to be useable again.
- All-Night Mask: This mask is obtained if you prevented Sakon from stealing the Old Lady's goods and have 500 rupees. You can buy it from the curiosity shop on the Final Day. It has the power to prevent Link from falling asleep and reward Link two Pieces of Heart from Anju's grandmother
- Bremen Mask: Obtained from listening to Guru-Guru's confession of a crime, this mask allows Link to command small animals and make Grog's chick mature, rewarding Link with the Bunny Hood
- Bunny Hood: This mask allows Link to run faster than normal and shows the counter for the Postman's game and make it easier to win a Piece of Heart
- Captain's Hat: Obtained by defeating Captain Keeta, this mask allows Link to talk with Stalchildren and make Redeads dance
- Couple's Mask: Obtained by completing the Kafei storyline, it is formed when Kafei and Anju's Sun and Moon Masks merge together. Wearing the mask gives the Mayor confidence and rewards Link with a Piece of Heart
- Kamaro's Mask: Obtained by healing the soul of Kamaro, this mask makes Link perform a special dance he can teach to the Rosa Sisters, and get Link a Piece of Heart
- Keaton Mask: Obtained during the Kafei sidequest, Link gets it from the Curiosity Shop owner and a letter from Kafei to his mother. The mask helps summon a Keaton, who asks Link various questions about the game. Completing the questions the first time around nets Link a Piece of Heart. Repeating the quizzes will earn Link 20 rupees after that
- Mask of Scents: Obtained by completing the Deku Butler's challenge, this mask enhances Link's sense of smell to find Magic Mushrooms that can be used in the Magic Hag Shop to brew blue potions
- Mask of Truth: This mask is obtained by killing all the Gold Skulltulas in the Spider Swamp House. It enables Link to listen to gossip stones and read the thoughts of animals, making it easier to find the winner of the dog track, which nets Link a Piece of Heart and tons of rupees afterwards
- Romani's Mask: Obtained after defending Cremia's milk bottles, this mask acts as a sign of membership to the Milk Bar, allowing Link to purchase Chateau Romani, which gives Link unlimited magic power. Access to the Milk Bar also allows Link to complete other side quests.
- Postman's Hat: Obtained by giving the Postman priority mail to Madame Aroma. After delivering it, the Postman is freed from his duties as a public servant. Using the Postman's hat allows Link to look inside mailboxes. The first time will net him a Piece of Heart and then one rupee afterwards.
- Some characters and items can be nightmare inducing, like the Moon and Majora's Mask itself.
- Tatl is as annoying, if not more annoying than Navi.
- If you're playing the game on the Nintendo 64 you NEED an Expansion Pak otherwise the game won't run.
- This game is also well known for a creepypasta called BEN Drowned .
Majora's Mask is considered the more darker of the Zelda games and while still a very good game was not as well received as Ocarina of Time.