The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is the third game in the Legend of Zelda franchise and was released to the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in 1991 worldwide. It was developed and published by Nintendo. It was rereleased for the Game Boy Advance as A Link to the Past and Four Swords.
After hearing Princess Zelda contact him in a dream, Link goes to Hyrule Castle to find his uncle mortally wounded. Taking his uncle's sword Link must save Hyrule from the evil magician Agahnim from opening a portal to the Dark World, ruled by Ganon who is pulling Agahnim's strings.
Why It Rocks
- Introduced the magic meter which would be a staple to future Legend of Zelda games.
- Introduced the Master Sword to the franchise and would become one of the most iconic weapons in video game history.
- Two main worlds, the Light World and the Dark World. The Light World's main quest is to find three pendants to awaken the Master Sword to fight Agahnim and the Dark World has Link fighting to rescue the seven Maidens and battle Agahnim once more and a final battle with Ganon.
- The theme of two worlds would become a staple in future Legend of Zelda games such as Link time traveling between seven years in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
- Introduces Pieces of Hearts, which have become a major staple in the franchise requiring puzzle solving and thinking to obtain.
- Each dungeon has a lot of puzzle solving and an important item to aid in the quest.
- Great soundtrack.
- Numerous secondary items and some aren't even found in dungeons. Some can be bought, found in hidden locations, or be obtained via sidequest.
- Completing Four Swords Adventure on the GBA rerelease unlocks the Four Sword dungeon for the main game.
A Link to the Past is considered one of the best games ever made and is one of the most important Legend of Zelda titles due to many features in the game being used in future titles. Both versions have a rating of over 4 on Game FAQS and are both ranked the #1 highest rating action adventure game on their respective consoles. According to AVGN, it's one of his favorite gViames of all time