Dart, a swordsman seeking revenge on a "Black Monster" that destroyed his town, embarks on a quest that started 11,000 years ago during the Dragoon Campaign. He along with his friends and allies are granted powerful and ancient magic known as Dragoon Spirits to put an end to what should have ended long ago.
Why It Rocks
- Great music.
- Epic story.
- Additions add more gameplay than most RPGs. Though difficult to pull off at first, Additions allow players to add more damage to attacks. When a character gets a Dragoon Spirit, Additions increase the amount of Spirit Points (SP) an attack grants. Since Shana and Miranda use bows, they do not receive additions and use basic attacks to raise SP.
- Successfully completing an Addition 20 times causes it to level up, increasing the damage a successful Addition causes and how many SP a player can get. An Addition maxes out at level 5.
- Great cutscenes
- With every 100 SP, players can transform into a Dragoon for a turn. Dragoons can use magic and their defense and attacks stats dramatically improve allowing for Dragoon Additions.
- Dragoon Spirits level up and leveling up allows for a character to retain Dragoon form for one extra turn.
Despite mixed to positive reviews from critics, The Legend of Dragoon has a very large fanbase and is now considered one of the best JRPGs on the PlayStation. It has a rating of 4.20 on GameFAQs.
- There are moments in the game where you can use stealth to sneak past most enemies. Though tempting it is wise to not sneak in this game as you need combat to improve the levels of your additions and of course experience points and spirit points to level up your Dragoon Spirits and Dragoon Gauges.