The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (or just Skyrim) is a 2011 role-playing game that is the fifth installment of the Elder Scrolls franchise. The game was released for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and computers. It was developed and published by Bethesda. The game was later re-made and released as The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Special Edition for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC in 2016.
Set 200 years after the events of Oblivion, the game focuses on a player known as the Dragonborn, a being with the soul of a dragon and must do battle with Alduin, a god in the form of a dragon who is prophesized to destroy the world. In addition, Skyrim is in the throes of a civil war with the Stormcloak rebels seeking to take over Skyrim and secede from the Empire while the Imperials seek to ensure Skyrim stays a part of the Empire.
Why It Rocks
- Over 300 hours of questing and content.
- Numerous ways to level up, not just by fighting monsters. You can level up by raising skills like lockpicking, alchemy, blacksmithing, and so many more.
- Leveling up allows you to either increase your health, magic, or stamina. Health is great for warriors since they are usually in melee combat, magic is great for mages, and stamina is great for thieves for increased sprinting for escaping and carrying more stuff to steal.
- Raising skills to level up allows players to increase perks in their favorite skills when leveling up
- In previous Elder Scroll games, job classes were numerous and could be confusing to some players, however, job classes are much, much easier in this game since there are only three jobs to choose from, Mage, Warrior and Thief which is chosen when you activate one of three major stones at the beginning of the game to increase a skill gain pertaining to a job class by 20%.
- Each job class have their own faction for questing, jobs, followers, and access to special weapons.
- This is the first game in the series where you actually fight dragons.
- Defeating dragons allows you to absorb their souls to unlock shouts (or Thu'um) that you find in dungeons.
- Crafting Systems blacksmithing and alchemy.
- The Thief skill allows gamers to use stealth gameplay.
- Disenchanting items allows you to learn the enchants for other pieces of equipment better suited to the player's class
- Players can customize their character anyway they want. There is no wrong way to customize.
- Some quests allow you to obtain powerful items from the Daedric Princes.
- Several questlines add their own major story to the game, aside from the main questline.
- Two other major faction the player can join are the Imperial Forces and the Stormcloaks. The Stormcloaks want to secede from the Empire and the Imperial Forces want to keep Skyrim united to the Empire.
- You can tame and have dragons as your pets.
- The game has tons of mods for PC.
- The game has a very large number of glitches, bugs, crashes, and freezing issues due to being a very large world. However, many will not break the game and are often a source of humor. Many of these issues were fixed with patches.
- Much of the follower A.I. is flawed with followers unable to follow you at times and are likely to activate traps or even attack enemies when you don't want them to.
- The PS3 version had an issue with severe frame-rate drops and momentary freezes at launch after playing the game for many hours, dubbed "Rimlag". This delayed the launch of downloadable content for that version of the game. This issue has mostly been fixed in updates, so make sure you are playing the most up to date version of the game if you're playing the PlayStation 3 version of the game.
Skyrim is often considered one of the best games ever made and won over 300 awards.