The Super Nintendo Entertainment System (Super Nintendo for short and SNES abbreviated) was Nintendo's second major console to hit North America and was based off of the Super Famicom. It competed against the Sega Genesis in the legendary console wars.
An official Plug-n'-Play version of this system, called the "Super NES Classic Edition" was released in 2017
Why It Rocks
- With the exception of its megahertz processor, the Super Nintendo was virtually superior to its competitors at the time in terms of hardware.
- 1538 games were released for the system and 249 of them were released in America but not Europe, and 800 were exclusive to Japan.
- Its best selling game was Super Mario World, which to this day is considered one of the best games ever made.
- Had a large number of very great games such as, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3 (actually 6 due to 2, 3, and 5 not being released to the U.S. till years later), the Donkey Kong Country games, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario All-Stars (One version of the game came with Super Mario World), Super Castlevania IV (James Rolfe's all-time favorite Castlevania game), Actraiser 1 and 2, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time.
- The FX chip allowed the Super Nintendo to improve its capabilities, unlike the Genesis which relied on add-ons. The FX chip allowed for some early 3D capabilities, the game best known for using it being Star Fox. The FX chip also enabled a port of Doom to work in the console.
- A good number of RPGs were released for the system, including Chrono Trigger, which is regarded as one of the best RPG of all time.
- The Super Game Boy lets you play Game Boy games in color with your SNES.
- Many games that have great soundtracks. James Rolfe in his Genesis vs. Super Nintendo video claims that music from the Super Nintendo was the first time video game music sounded like real music.
- The controller is designed to be comfortable to hold.
- The button layout (D-pad on the left, Start/Select on the center, L & R shoulder buttons, and 4 Trigger buttons on the right positioned as a + sign) is very easy to get used to, and went on to become the standard layout in modern controllers.
- Some games were slightly censored and some were so heavily censored, such as Wolfenstein 3D and Mortal Kombat, that they became known as the worst ports.
- The North American version of the console is known to be rather ugly looking and the casings of several older versions were known to turn yellow over time. This is because the ABS Plastic was susceptible to oxidation. In addition to cosmetic looks, the yellowing also created a chemical change in the casing, making it more brittle. Luckily it is possible to reverse the effects with UV light and hydrogen peroxide solutions.
The Super Nintendo is heavily regarded one of the best consoles ever made and even held its own against 32 bit consoles (the fifth generation of gaming) having more to offer against 32 bit systems at the time. It is famous for competing against the Sega Genesis during the 90s, and eventually coming victor by outselling the Genesis with a total of 49 million units sold worldwide during its lifespan, making it the best selling console of its generation.