Kamek, a powerful magikoopa predicts that two babies will grow up to cause trouble for his master, Bowser. Kamek finds the stork carrying the children and snatches him. Only capturing one baby, the other falls down to an island and fortunately on top of a member of the Yoshi clan. The baby senses his brother and the Yoshi clan decided to help the two reunite and defeat Kamek and Bowser.
Why it Rocks
- The game takes great advantage of the Super FX chip with very colorful hand drawn art styles and excellent sprite work.
- While the main goal of each stage is to get the end, the stages offer chances to obtain 5 flowers, 20 red coins (hidden among yellow coins) and 30 stars. Completing a stage with all of these will enable a 100% stage completion. Stars can be lost if Yoshi is hit causing Baby Mario to float in a bubble.
- Getting a 100% completion on each stage for a world will unlock 2 mini-games, great for obtaining power-ups and extra lives.
- Numerous power-up included increasing star count and temporary abilities.
- Puzzle solving.
- Impressive boss battles.
- The commercial of this video game is grotesque. It literally involves a fat man stuffing himself until he explodes!
- Baby Mario's crying is obnoxious.
- Getting a perfect score requires reaching the end with 30 stars which means not getting hit at all once you reach 30 because stars are hard to replenish.
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island was the last 2D Mario platform game for a home console until New Super Mario Bros. 3 for the Wii 14 years later. The game was also popular enough to give Yoshi his own sub franchise with numerous games inspired by Yoshi's Island.