Super Mario World is a video game released for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and was also included in the compilation game Super Mario All-Stars. It was later ported to the Game Boy Advance with enhanced gameplay as Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2. It was released in 1990 and was developed and published by Nintendo.
After the events of Super Mario Bros. 3, Mario, Luigi, and Princess Peach (known back then as Toadstool) decide to take a vacation on Dinosaur Island. When the Princess goes missing, Mario and Luigi realize that Bowser is up to no good again. It's up to Mario and Luigi, and their new ally, Yoshi, to defeat Bowser once more.
Why It Rocks
- Debut of Yoshi.
- Extremely fluent and responsive controls.
- 96 levels to explore.
- Tons of secret exits.
- Introduced the Star Road, an optional world that spawn different colored Yoshis, each with various abilities and super challenging levels.
- If you complete the bonus world, the whole game has a "Seasonal change", making it look more autumn like and alterning some enemies' appearance.
- Numerous ways in which Mario destroys a Koopaling's castle.
- A new power-up, the feather, which gives Mario or Luigi a magic cape that helps them fly. Unlike the Raccoon power-up, the cape allows indefinite flight but requires some practice.
- Mini-games that allow for extra lives.
- A Top Secret area can be found in the second world, allowing for a stack of mushroom and depending on the choice, fire flowers or feathers.
- A secondary power-up can be held for later use or in emergencies in a box on the top screen.
- A new spinning jump attack, which can destroy blocks when fully grown.
- Several new enemies are introduced, including the infamous Charging Chuck.
- Five dinosaur coins can be found in each stage. In addition to the coin count, finding all five grants an extra life.
In Nintendo Power's top 200 games list, it ranked number 8. In the magazine's final issue, it ranked Super Mario World the fifth greatest game of all time. It is often considered one of the best Super Nintendo games and the best Mario game ever.