The Sony PlayStation (later given the nickname PS1) was Sony's first video game console and competed against the Nintendo 64 and the Sega Saturn and was created in 1994. It was succeeded by the PlayStation 2 in 2000.
Nintendo was working on a CD add-on for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System. They were working with Sony on the add-on but disputes ended the partnership. Nintendo went on to work with Philips on the concept and that produced the CD-I which was a huge failure.
Sony on the other hand kept the technology they had developed and decided to release the add-on as a standalone console, which would become the PlayStation. It became a huge hit and became a major competitor to Nintendo and a major factor to the Saturn's demise.
Why It Rocks
- Over 7,000 titles were released for the system.
- Could play audio CDs.
- Helped in the major shift of 2D gaming to 3D gaming, along with the Nintendo 64.
- While it was not the first game console to use CDs, it was the first to do so successfully and made CD use popular. Discs are now the standard game format for home consoles.
- While the Nintendo 64 introduced analog sticks, the PlayStation Dual Analog controller was the one who set the standard for future consoles' analog stick usage with the use of two separate analog sticks on the controller rather than one.
- A huge number of role-playing games and platformer titles.
- It was very easy to develop for, thus it had a very strong third-party support.
- A smaller model called PSOne was also released, which is a great option if you don't have much space. It is also much lighter and easier to transport than the first model.
- Many well known game characters such as Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon came from this console.
- A large number of very good games including Final Fantasy VII, VIII, & IX, Resident Evil 1, 2, & 3, The Legend of Dragoon, Parasite Eve,,"PaRappa the Rapper", and so much more.
- Many of its games are also available to download for relatively cheap on PlayStation Network on the PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, and PlayStation Vita.
- The controller's D-Pad is uncomfortable and can cause sore thumbs after using it for a while. This is made worse with games that predate analog control and must be played entirely with the D-Pad and controllers that have no analog sticks in the first place.
- The lens can get damaged easily and its very difficult to find a replacement nowadays.
- Due to its old age, and because gamers were not used to CD format games back then, it can be difficult to find used games in good condition without them being more expensive than usual.
- Dust can easily get into the disc tray.
- There's only two controller ports despite many games supporting four players. You need the multitap accessory to be able to plug four controllers.
With more than 100 million units sold worldwide, the Playstation was the most popular and successful console of the fifth generation of gaming. It is also considered the console that made CD based gaming popular which is the norm now, despite not being the first console to use CDs but it was the first to do so successfully.
YouTuber AlphaOmegaSin owns nearly every RPG on the system and claims he became a fan of the genre because of the PlayStation. Caddicarus focuses almost exclusively on this system as it was his first console growing up.