The Sega Genesis (called the Sega Mega Drive outside North America) is the third console made by Sega and is its best known game console. It was released in 1988 in Japan and 1989 for North America. It competed against the Nintendo Entertainment System and later the Super Nintendo Entertainment System in the legendary console wars.
Why It Rocks
- Though the Super Nintendo was virtually superior to the Genesis in almost every way, the Genesis had a superior Megahertz processor, allowing for faster games. The term "blast processing" came from this.
- Had a larger number of sports games than the Super Nintendo, which was good for sports fans
- The Sonic The Hedgehog series started on the Genesis.
- Left the gore in the home port of Mortal Kombat while the Super Nintendo censored theirs.
- More than 900 games were released for the system, over 125 of which never left Japan.
- The boxes that housed the games were actually cases that snapped shut and held the game in place. This style of container is now used today, though they are smaller. This makes finding Genesis games in the original packaging much easier and cheaper than finding a boxed Super Nintendo game.
- The controller can connect to an Atari 2600 and it'll work.
- It transforms into Megatron from Transformers!
- It has too many add-ons, models, and Plug-n'-Play clones.
- "Blast processing" isn't a real feature but a marketing gimmick to show off that the Genesis has a faster processor than the Super Nintendo.
- Besides the D-Pad and start button, the first model controller only has 3 trigger buttons, which isn't enough for some of the games in its library, especially fighting games. A second model controller with 6 buttons was later released though.
- The 3rd model of the Genisis is smaller and lighter but, does not support the Sega 32X and Sega CD add-on's which means you cannot play 32 bit games such as Sonic the Hedgehog CD.
Despite losing to the Super Nintendo in the console wars and being significantly less popular in Japan, the Sega Genesis is still considered one of the best gaming consoles ever created and still has its fans among retro gamers and game collectors.