Six years after the events of Resident Evil 2, Leon Scott Kennedy now works as a protector for the President of the United States and his family. His first assignment is to rescue Ashley Graham, the daughter of the President from a mysterious cult called the Los Illuminados. However what starts as a rescue mission becomes so much more. The cult plans to use an ancient parasite called Las Plagas to infect the United States government and take over the world. Leon must now not only rescue Ashley, but stop the cult from taking over the world. But with the appearance of Ada Wong who has plans of her own, it is apparent that a third party is involved.
Why It Rocks
- Invented over-the-shoulder shooting for third-person shooters and popularized in some games like Gears of War.
- Enemies often give ammo and health (when you're low) when killed.
- Eerie music.
- Numerous enemies.
- Stunning enemies allows Leon to use melee attacks. Sometimes these attacks harm other enemies too.
- Using the knife on downed enemies can save ammo.
- Although escort missions are heavily disliked Ashley often stays behind Leon and does her best to avoid crossfire.
- A mysterious merchant often sells Leon guns, maps, upgrades, and can increase the stats on each gun.
- Many treasures are in the game that Leon can sell for money.
- Some treasure can be merged together to make them worth more money than they were individually. An example is merging a Blue Eye, Red Eye, and Green Eye with the Butterfly Lamp.
- Jaw-dropping ending credits to give you backstory about the villagers before their downfall by Saddler’s hands.
- Future ports of the game offered additional content such as Separate Ways which chronicles what Ada was doing during Leon's mission.
- Powerful weapons are unlocked after beating the game and completing bonus content, which offers a high level of replay value.
- The motion controls on the Wii Version work very well and smoothly, as well as the mouse controls of the Ultimate HD editions for PC.
- After you beat the game on the hardest difficulty, the shop sells a free gun that automatically aims and kills every enemy in one shot, including bosses. Because this makes the game much more boring after a short amount of time, this may be considered a negative quality.
- The PlayStation 2 port had downgraded graphics and so as the first PC port from 2007. Also, the controls of the first PC release were a mess as well as the lack of spooky effects.
- Although the gameplay is good, the change wasn't well received with some fans of the original style (including Grust's older brother). While a very good game, it started slow decline in Resident Evil quality, which culminated in Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, Resident Evil 6, and Umbrella Corps (though the horror roots were restored more starting with Resident Evil: Revelations).
- Ashley Graham's character has been critized for being needlessly sexualized and the epitome for a damsel in distress and, a first on the Resident Evil franchise. Unfortunately, she was only the beginning.
- It was part of the Capcom Five during the 6th generation of gaming.
As stated in number 1 on Why It Rocks, Resident Evil 4 was responsible for popularizing the over-the-shoulder gameplay feature in third-person shooter games which would be used in other games like Shadows of the Damned and Dead Space.
Resident Evil 4 is considered one of the best games of all time.
- When fighting a single Ganado, shoot it in the leg or face and use a melee attack to knock it down. Once down, swipe repeatedly with the knife and it should die by the time it gets back up. This method should save some ammo.
- If a treasure states that it has some holes or that it might fit in something, save it, don't sell. If you combine the treasure pieces together, you can get more money for new weapons and upgrades.
- At the point where Ashley is kidnapped by the Novistadors (giant insects) there is a large hive-like structure in the middle of the room. This structure can be destroyed when shot at enough times, with a rocket launcher destroying it instantly. Its destruction leaves behind a large amount of different colored jewels known as "Eyes," which are used for the Butterfly Lamp and also dropped by Novistadors themselves.
- When the Butterfly Lamp is complete, feel free to sell all remaining Eyes, except the Blue Eyes as they are rare and be used in New Game +.