Six years after the events of Resident Evil 2, Leon Scott Kennedy now works as a protector for the President of the United States and his family. His first assignment is to rescue Ashley Graham, the daughter of the President from a mysterious cult called the Los Illuminados. However what starts as a rescue mission becomes so much more. The cult plans to use an ancient parasite called Las Plagas to infect the United States government and take over the world. Leon must now not only rescue Ashley, but stop the cult from taking over the world. But with the appearance of Ada Wong who has plans of her own, it is apparent that a third party is involved.
Why It Rocks
- Invented over-the-shoulder shooting for third-person shooters and popularized it.
- Enemies often give ammo and health (when you're low) when killed.
- Eerie music.
- Numerous enemies.
- Stunning enemies allows Leon to use melee attacks. Sometimes these attacks harm other enemies too.
- Using the knife on downed enemies can save ammo.
- Although escort missions are heavily disliked Ashley often stays behind Leon and does her best to avoid crossfire.
- A mysterious merchant often sells Leon guns, maps, upgrades, and can increase the stats on each gun.
- Many treasures are in the game that Leon can sell for money.
- Some treasure can be merged together to make them worth more money than they were individually. An example is merging a Blue Eye, Red Eye, and Green Eye with the Butterfly Lamp.
- Future ports of the game offered additional content such as Separate Ways which chronicles what Ada was doing during Leon's mission.
- Powerful weapons are unlocked after beating the game and completing bonus content, which offers a high level of replay value.
- The motion controls on the Wii Version work very well and smoothly, as well as the mouse controls of the ultimate HD editions
- It was part of the Capcom Five during the 6th generation of gaming.
- The PlayStation 2 port had downgraded graphics
- The controls of the first PC release were a mess as well as the lack of spooky effects
As stated in number 1 on Why It Rocks, Resident Evil 4 was responsible for popularizing the over-the-shoulder gameplay feature in third-person shooter games which would be used in other games like Shadows of the Damned and Dead Space.
Resident Evil 4 is considered one of the best games of all time.
- When fighting a single Ganado, shoot it in the leg or face and use a melee attack to knock it down. Once down, swipe repeatedly with the knife and it should die by the time it gets back up. This method should save some ammo.
- If a treasure states that it has some holes or that it might fit in something, save it, don't sell. If you combine the treasure pieces together, you can get more money for new weapons and upgrades.
- At the point where Ashley is kidnapped by the Novistadors (giant insects) there is a large hive-like structure in the middle of the room. This structure can be destroyed when shot at enough times, with a rocket launcher destroying it instantly. Its destruction leaves behind a large amount of different colored jewels known as "Eyes," which are used for the Butterfly Lamp and also dropped by Novistadors themselves.
- When the Butterfly Lamp is complete, feel free to sell all remaining Eyes, except the Blue Eyes as they are rare and be used in New Game +.