The PlayStation Vita is a handheld video game console that is currently competing against the Nintendo 3DS. It was released in 2011 in Japan and 2012 worldwide.
Why It Rocks
- Several must own games. It also had great ports including Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, one of the HD ports of Final Fantasy X and an enhanced version of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, which was so well received, a second anime series was made.
- Several apps, including Netflix and other streaming services. There was a YouTube app, but that was discontinued.
- The PlayStation Store allows gamers to buy and play emulated Sony PSP games, giving the Vita backwards compatibility.
- Very good internet browser which even allows for streaming on the YouTube website and downloading videos.
- Can act as a second screen for a PlayStation 4, essentially allowing gamers to play PlayStation 4 games on the go.
- The main screen is a touch screen and there is also a touch screen on the back.
- It had a large number of niche Japanese Role-Playing games, just type in google "Vita JRPG" and you'll find a huge list of games.
- While lots of Vita games are multiplatform, the Vita versions tend to be either cheaper, cross-buy with other Sony consoles, or both.
- Is one of the three Playstation platforms that award trophies, along with the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.
- Unlike the PSP, the Vita uses special memory cards, which are ridiculously expensive.(4GB vita cards cost $29)
- The Vita's weak sales made lots of developers stop making games for the Vita, specially when Sony announced that they're done with the Vita.
Despite all the positive qualities the Vita has, it was not a huge success selling over 4 million units worldwide by the beginning of 2013, although fans (one of which was YouTuber AlphaOmegaSin) have called it severely underrated. It was later announced that the Vita was now a legacy console, meaning that while the Vita was still in production, Sony was basically done with it.
WatchMojo ranked the Vita the 8th best Handheld Gaming Device in their Top 10 Handheld Gaming Devices video but behind the 3DS at number 5.