Why It Rocks
- Several must own games. It also had great ports including Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max, one of the HD ports of Final Fantasy X and an enhanced version of Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4, which was so well received, a second anime series was made.
- Several apps, including Netflix and other streaming services. There was a YouTube app, but that was discontinued.
- The PlayStation Store allows gamers to buy and play emulated Sony PSP games, giving the Vita backwards compatibility but not all of them though.
- Very good internet browser which even allows for streaming on the YouTube website and downloading videos.
- Can act as a second screen for a PlayStation 4, essentially allowing gamers to play PlayStation 4 games on the go.
- The main screen is a touch screen and there is also a touch screen on the back.
- It had a large number of niche Japanese Role-Playing games, just type in google "Vita JRPG" and you'll find a huge list of games.
- Unlike the PSP, it has a camera already attached to the handheld, not an accessory, plus it has a built in mic
- Has a great community that's still keeping the handheld alive
- It helped lots of indie developers because of the community
- While lots of Vita games are multiplatform, the Vita versions tend to be either cheaper, cross-buy with other Sony consoles, or both.
- Is one of the three PlayStation platforms that award trophies, along with the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4.
- There is also a home console version called PlayStation TV, which is priced at $99, surprisingly considering its' power.
Despite its good qualities, the PS Vita was a commercial failure. Click here to see why.
Despite all the positive qualities the Vita has, it was a commercial flop selling only about 4 million units worldwide by the beginning of 2013, although fans (one of which was YouTuber AlphaOmegaSin) have called it severely underrated. It was later announced that the Vita was now a legacy console, meaning that while the Vita was still in production, Sony was basically done with it.
WatchMojo ranked the Vita the 8th best Handheld Gaming Device in their Top 10 Handheld Gaming Devices video but behind the 3DS at number 5.
Sony has stated that it is very unlikely that they'll ever make a Vita successor.