Isaac, an Adept of Venus which represents the element of earth, Garet, an Adept of Mars which represents the element of fire, Ivan, an Adept of Jupiter which represents the element of air, and Mia, an Adept of Mercury which represents the element of water, must join forces and prevent a long sealed power known as Alchemy from being released back into the world after countless centuries. As they journey, they help many people out, fight powerful monsters, and learn more about why Alchemy was sealed away.
Why It Rocks
- Great story in fact the game is so big, that its sequel, The Lost Age, is not just a sequel, but starts right where the first game ends because of the GBA's size limit.
- Nice music, courtesy of Motoi Sakuraba (who you may also know for composing for the Tales and Star Ocean series. He's also the composer for the Mario Tennis games, which were developed by the same company as Golden Sun. He also composed for the Dark Souls series.).
- The main force of magic used in this game is called Psynergy. Outside of combat, Psynergy is used to help solve puzzles to advance the story, obtain Djinn and obtain powerful items. For instance, the ability Growth allows a character to summon thorns to attack enemies but outside combat, it can help sprout grow into climbable vines.
- Finding and recruiting Djinn, allow for stat increases and changes to character classes. There are seven Djinn of each element which in total counts up to 28 Djinn to collect.
- In addition to their stat bonuses, Djinn have their own abilities to heal and strengthen the party, damage enemies, reviving downed characters, and putting status ailments on enemies. However, this puts the Djinn in standby mode, which makes them unable to contribute to stat bonuses.
- Djinn's that are put in standby can be used for summoning powerful elemental monsters. These are the strongest attacks in the game. Once an elemental monster is summoned, Djinn go into a waiting mode until they are set again. Up to four Djinn of the same element can be used for a summon.
- In the menu options, Djinn that are not in waiting mode can be put into set or standby mode.
Golden Sun has a rating of 4.32 out of 5 on GameFAQs.