Garry's Mod (commonly abbreviated as GMod, stylized as garry's mod), is a sandbox physics game developed by Garry Newman, and later by his company, Facepunch Studios for Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux.
Garry's Mod was originally a mod for the game Half-Life 2, but was later made into a standalone release in 2006.
Why it Rocks
What makes Garry's Mod stand out from other sandbox games is that the game does not have any predetermined objectives. This leaves you, the player, to do what ever you want with it, including, but not limited to:
- Build contraptions using various parts.
- Explore various maps, whether they be ones made by other people or maps from various Source games (Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, Team Fortress 2, Portal, etc.)
- Pose ragdolls and props from the aforementioned Source games, in addition to ones other people have either created themselves or ported from other sources.
- Make machinima with said ragdolls and props (like countless other people including RubberFruit, DasBoSchitt, the late Kitty0706, and many others have done).
- Shoot watermelons.
- and much, much more.
This has made Garry's Mod extremely popular among machinima creators and gamers and put Garry and Facepunch Studios on the map, with many people still using Garry's Mod to this day. It's gotten so popular that Garry currently has a VR-focused sequel in the works.
- Many of the addons for old versions of this game, doesn't work anymore, instead giving Lua errors.
- The GMOD fanbase today is filled with FNAF fanboys, butthurt 12-year old players, Jerks who think nice players are hackers or have aimbot, Regular jerks, Territorial dogs that propblock other players to stop them from going where they don't want them, and also people who often take advantage of some maps in a gamemode called Trouble In Terrorist Town, where they often camp in sniper spots. and cheating players known as "Mingebags", making playing multiplayer servers downright unbearable.
- The optimization is worse than in Half-Life 2.
- Depending on the amount of addons that you've downloaded, the average loading time takes about 25 minutes!
- There are more dupes and saves than actual addons in the GMod Workshop.
- Some mods can break the game entirely.
- Many addons and maps on the Workshop require other source games to be installed such as Counter-Strike: Source or Half Life 2: Episode 2 (Rarely, it may be Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2). While this may not be bothersome for some players, the idea of buying other games and installing them just for content is pretty annoying for others.