Doom (stylised as DooM or The Ultimate DooM) is a first-person shooter released in 1993 by id Software and spawned a franchise.
An unnamed space marine is shipped to Mars to act as security for the Union Aerospace Corporation. During an experiment involving teleportation, a device creates a portal to Hell and unleashes demons and evil forces on the Mars base, making Deimos disappear and causing the scientists and security guards to die horribly while the evil revives them as zombies. It's up to the Marine to fight off the demons and zombies, before Earth becomes the next to fall.
Why It Rocks
- Many weapons are available to the marine and the strongest are available near the end.
- The main character (also known as "Doomguy") you play is so tough, that even Hell can't handle him!
- Tons of demons to kill.
- The game features a number of secrets that contain a ton of power-ups, armor, weapons and ammunition.
- The game technically being a top-down 2D shooter, but Id Software used incredibly clever techniques to give the illusion of 3D movement.
- The game also helped to popularize multiplayer deathmatches.
- One of the first violent video games that were meant for adults.
- One of the weapons you can use is the chainsaw, which has unlimited ammo and can kill a demon in less than a second.
- Zombies with guns!
- The PlayStation port is filled with new exclusive details like very scary atmospheric music, new clean and realistic gun sounds, new enemy sounds (minus the Pinky Demon) colored lighting, and much darker lighting for atmosphere, and even Doomguy has new grunt sounds, which outclasses the PC version, and just for 20 bucks, the PlayStation version includes The Ultimate Doom and Doom II.
- Some console ports were very poorly made.
- The infamous "Terrywads", which lure players in with spectacular visuals before suddenly catching them in "traps" that subject them to extremely loud noises, rapidly flashing lights, disturbing images and vulgar (and often NSFW) text that covers the entire screen.
- The fake 3D still has limitations, for example your shots still hit enemies that are very clearly "above" or "below" your line of sight. That's because those enemies are actually at the same height as you.
Doom is legendary for being of the earliest First Person Shooters along with Wolfenstein 3D. ' ' It's also famous for, along with Mortal Kombat, helping to create the ESRB rating and launch more mature video games. Since its creation, over 10 million copies of the franchise have been sold.
To this date there's STILL a modding community that has been going strong since 1994.
In GAG: The Impotent Mystery this game has parodied into VROOM 666 in laptop with Doors 97 OS location.