Diablo 2 is the sequel to the original 1996 game Diablo. It was developed by Blizzard (the same company behind World of Warcraft) and published by Blizzard in North America and Sierra Entertainment in Europe.
After Diablo was defeated in battle and resealed in a shard of his soulstone, the warrior attempted to contain Diablo in his body only to be corrupted. Now under the guise of the Dark Wanderer, Diablo seeks to free his elder brothers and destroy the world of man and conquer heaven. Only a new team of heroes can stop him and end his unholy reign.
Why It Rocks
- More characters to choose from compared to the original game, each with unique abilities.
- Unlike the first game that takes place under a cathedral, Diablo 2 allows gamers to travel to new lands to undo the evil brought upon by Diablo.
- Some weapons and armor have socket that can have gems and runes put into them. The gems have different abilities to improve elemental resistance for armor or add elemental damage to weapons while runes have many different abilities.
- When players get the Horadric Cube, they gain access to a crafting system allowing them to make new items or superior items such as combing three gems into a stronger gem.
- The Horadric Cube can also add more inventory space by placing items inside without using.
- The expansion pack, Lord of Destruction, adds new weapons, two new classes, Assassin and Druid, improvement to Diablo 2, better screen resolution, more Horadric Cube recipes, and many more.
- Hand drawn enemies and dungeons.
- Tons of quests to complete, with weapons, rings armor and even stat increases and the skill tree points as rewards.
- Gamers can hire underlings to assist them in battle.
- After constant rumors of a secret cow level in the first game, Blizzard actually put a secret cow level in Diablo 2. This secret level has humanoid cows as enemies. The cows are powerful enemies and can yield tons of experience points and powerful weapons and armor.
- Adds to the lore of the Diablo franchise.
- One quest in the first act has you fight the Blood Countess, who was based off the actual serial killer, Elizabeth Báthory, who according to legend, bathed in the blood of virgin women believing it would keep her young.
- The graphics are not impressive
Diablo 2 is one of the fastest selling computer games of all time, rivaled only by the Warcraft franchise. The Diablo 2 Battle chest was the 19th best selling computer game in 2008, 7 years after it was released.
Diablo 2 has a 4.30 rating on GameFAQs for PC.