Batman: Arkham City is the 2011 sequel to Batman: Arkham Asylum. It was released for Mac, Windows, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and an Armored Edition for Wii U.
Six months after Batman defeated the Joker, a new form of prison is built by the mayor called Arkham City, where the criminals and lunatics have free reign. The prison is run by Doctor Hugo Strange. When Bruce Wayne is thrown in when he protests against Arkham City, he becomes Batman to restore peace, save the innocent, and find out Hugo Strange's secrets. This is made difficult when Batman must face numerous thugs, his greatest enemies, and the fact that Hugo knows that Batman and Bruce Wayne are one and the same.
Why It Rocks
- The Freeflow combat system returns in this game, allowing Batman to take on multiple enemies with ease.
- In addition to the gadgets obtained from Arkham Asylum, Batman gains several new ones in this game including ice grenades and a Remote Electric Charge Gun.
- Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill return to voice Batman and the Joker respectively.
- Many new enemies, including Ra's Al Ghul and Solomon Grundy.
- While Arkham Asylum only had the Riddler challenges for the sidequest, Arkham City provides several more, examples include finding Victor Zsasz's hideout before he kills hostages, find leftover Titan before anyone finds it, and save hostages that were taken by the Riddler.
- An alternate character you can play as is Catwoman, who seeks to find a fortune hidden in Arkham City. The Riddler has provided trophies for her to obtain as well. Unfortunately she is locked behind a paywall so if you buy the game used, you will have to pay extra money for her. Buying the game new included a voucher.
- Many Riddler Trophies require heavy thinking and skills to obtain.
- Very massive and open world.
- The enemies during Predator mode are much smarter and even use heat seeking thermometers to hunt for Batman atop gargoyles.
Batman: Arkham City received the Game of the Year award and all ports of the game have a rating of over 4 out of 5 on GameFAQs.