Batman: Arkham Asylum is a 2009 action-adventure video game based on the DC Comics superhero Batman. It was developed by Rocksteady Studios and published by Eidos Interactive in conjunction with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC in 2009.
Batman, having apprehended the Joker after he took the mayor of Gotham hostage, learns that the Joker's thugs are being held in Arkham Asylum after a fire destroyed most of Blackgate Prison. Batman is suspicious of the Joker who surrendered almost without a fight and follows along as the Joker is ready to be locked up. Harley Quinn takes over the security systems and the Joker escapes and takes over the asylum. Batman soon realizes that the Joker wanted to be caught and is after something. Batman must now find out what the Joker is planning and stop his archenemy once again.
Why It Rocks
- Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill reprise their roles from Batman: The Animated Series as Batman and the Joker, respectively.
- Batman uses two main forms of attack, a standard attack and a counter. Counters blocks enemy attacks and allows Batman to use an attack himself.
- Freeflow combat allows Batman to easily take on multiple enemies.
- Numerous gadgets.
- A Predator mode allows Batman to use stealth to take on armed thugs and enemies that shouldn't see him.
- A large number of Batman's rogues gallery make up the boss battles.
- Detective mode allows Batman to follow clues and determine whether a thug is armed or not.
- The more enemies you subdue in Predator Mode, the more scared the other enemies will become of you.
- A secondary objective in the game is to find trophies and solve riddles left behind by the Riddler.
- Awesome story.
- Great music.
- Winning fights and solving riddles grant Batman experience points which are used to grant upgrades to armor and new abilities. Experience points also heal Batman.
All three versions of Batman: Arkham Asylum have a rating of over 4 out of 5 stars on GameFAQs.